On Friday night, the Wheatley Cafeteria was transformed into a wonderful center of dancing, food and entertainment! Thanks to the work of our Connections/STEPP club and our Life Skills faculty members, students from many schools across Nassau County were able to enjoy a wonderful evening of camaraderie and activity. In addition to a terrific DJ, the evening included a cannoli station, fresh pizza and a photo booth. Students had a wonderful time!
[Thanks to Liza Laurino for some of the photos!]
You can view the photo booth pictures here:
On Thursday, 19 April, the East Williston community came together to celebrate one outstanding educator from each of the three schools as the recipient of the Simmons Award.
The Simmons Award, named after Steve Simmons (Class of 1964), was started in 1996, when he, in appreciation of the extraordinary education he, his family and his classmates received here, donated $100,000 to the East Williston Education Foundation to establish an annual awards night. Over 100 staff members have been honored with certificates and monetary awards in appreciation for what they contribute to the education of our students.
This year’s recipients were:
- Jo Beth Roberts (Wheatley’s Library Media Specialist)
- Vanessa Dimascio (Willets Road 5th Grade)
- Jill Widyn (North Side 4th Grade)
The recipients were introduced by a colleague from their school who highlighted just some of the numerous accomplishments and attributes which resulted in each of our awardees being nominated for and selected for this special award. Steve Collier, our secondary English Chair, introduced Mrs. Roberts to the audience. Rick Wilson, a member of our English department, coordinated the creation of a wonderful commemorative album.
Congratulations to Mrs. Roberts for this well-deserved recognition!
On Friday, 26 January, Wheatley held its third annual Career Fair. As part of the district’s goal to expose our students to some of the possible careers available to them beyond Wheatley and college, the Career Fair brought in a wide range of professionals to speak to our students. With the support of our community, nineteen different professionals spent time at Wheatley sharing information about their careers, their backgrounds and the interests that led them to pursue their current occupation.
The Career Fair presenters were assigned an individual classroom for their presentations. All 11th and 12th graders selected two different presenters to visit during the fair. The event proved to be quite informative for the students, and the presenters appreciated the interested demonstrated by our students!
The increased exposure to more career opportunities has been a district goal. The Career Fair was coordinated by Natalia McMillan!
CAREER FAIR 2018 PRESENTERS
- Ms. Christina Del Gais – Occupational therapist
- Ms. Melissa Lent Teixeira – Professor / Associate Director of the Bachelor of Science in Health Science (LIU – Brooklyn campus)
- Mr. Drew Hambly – Morgan Stanley finance (see official title)
- Dr. Priti Jain – Doctor (emergency and internal medicine)
- Mr. Josh Kotin – Account Executive – NYC Football Club
- Dr. Michael LaCasse – Physical therapist
- Ms. Danielle Gruttadaurio – Forensic artist
- Mr. Peter Fishkind – Law Clerk
- Mr. Jerry Kelly – pharmaceutical salesman
- Ms. Elizabeth C. Girardi Schoen – VP Global Environmental Sustainability
- Mr. Michael Stein – English teacher (Herricks)
- Mr. Brad Behar – Intellectual Patent Attorney / Civil engineer
- Mr. Robert Fallarino – medical malpractice attorney
- Mr. Daniel Krittman – computer science (artificial intelligence)
- Ms. Christine Kim – Business administrator
- Ms. Raffaela Dunne – real estate development advisory consulting business/degree in both environmental and structural engineering
- Dr. Ruth Kohlmeier – Medical examiner
- Dr. Roxene Gascoigne – endodontist
- Mr. Rick Wilson – theatre, film, entertainment, and the arts
Although there was disappointment when a winter storm caused the cancellation of our December Connections Holiday Dance, the wait was worth it! On Friday night, our cafeteria was filled with music, food, dancing and fun as students from across Nassau County joined our Connections Club for a wonderful dance!
Thank you to our wonderful PPS staff and our terrific parents for their support of this special event!
As parents of our incoming 8th Graders (the Class of 2023) were learning more about their child’s first year at Wheatley, parents of current Wheatley students were learning more about the many offerings, programs and opportunities in grades 9-12 through our Curriculum and Activities Fair.
Over the course of the evening, parents were able to attend sessions on the following specific topics:
- SWS/English options (for parents of 9th graders)
- STEM Overview, including PLTW, Computer Science, Mathematics and Science offerings
- College Level Course Offerings, including AP course options, Dual Enrollment courses, AP Capstone, alternative diploma pathways
Parents also had an opportunity to learn about our co-curricular offerings, including our many clubs and activities. It was an evening of information and activity! A huge “Thank You” to the department supervisors, club advisors, and classroom teachers who helped make this night both informative and exciting!
You can download some of the information distributed through the following links:
Last Thursday evening, we welcomed parents of incoming 8th Graders (the Class of 2023) to Wheatley so they could learn about Wheatley, our various curricular and co-curricular offerings and our ongoing support of all of our students. After providing parents with a brief overview of Wheatley (see below), we turned the program over to a panel of wonderful students who answered questions from parents.
The 8th grade student panelists were:
- Maliha Ayaz
- Daniel Solomon
- Morenike Oshodi
- Emma Khafif
- Kristin Zachariah
Thank you to our Director of Guidance, Ms. Janna Varela, for organizing and moderating the student panel! Thank you as well to our wonderful Wheatley PTO for providing the refreshments for the evening!
Handouts from the evening include:
Daniel, Emma, Maliha, Kristin and Morenike
With a wide-range of exciting opportunities, Wheatley’s Summer Opportunities Fair provided attendees with nearly thirty different options for enriching summer activities. The range of activities included academic, athletic, service and cultural arts programs for students of all ages. Travel opportunities abounded, with many programs combining language enrichment with service learning.
Wheatley is thankful for the efforts of our wonderful PTO for all of the efforts needed to put together this wonderful program!
For a listing of participants, click here: Wheatley SoF-exhibitors-2017