On Thursday, 27 February, Wheatley and LICADD hosted the state-wide kick-off event in support of Governor Cuomo’s proposals to ban flavored vaping products and restrict advertisement. Dr. Howard Zucker, the New York State Commissioner of Health, was a featured speaker at the event. In addition to describing the toll that electronic cigarette vaping is taking on the youth of New York State, he unveiled a new initiative to help New York youth quit vaping: simply text “DropTheVape” to 88709.
Also speaking at the event were Wheatley Senior Rahul Ajmera and Steven Chassman, Clinical Director of LICADD. We were also fortunate to have a number of local politicians present at the meeting, including:
- State Senator Anna Kaplan
- Nassau County Legislator Josh Lafazan
- Nassau County Legislator Laura Schaefer
- Town of North Hempstead Councilwoman Marianne Dalimonte
- Town of North Hempstead Councilman Peter Zuckerman
- Town of North Hempstead Clerk Wayne Wink
- Nassau County Health Commissioner Dr. Larry Eisenstein
You can view the slide presentation through this link: TextDropTheVape_horiz
You can read the Governor’s press release of the event through this link: https://on.ny.gov/2uIuEYe
You can view the Channel 4 coverage of the event through this link: http://bit.ly/38c1UEO
Thanks to Dr. Scott Eckers for some of the photos of this event.