On Tuesday, March 5, 2019, the Athletic Department hosted its Winter Sports Night in The Wheatley School Auditorium. We honored and recognized the achievements, contributions and efforts of our Junior Varsity and Varsity student-athletes from the Winter Sports Season.
In addition to highlighting the wonderful team accomplishments from this Winter season, highlights of the season include:
- Girls Varsity Basketball made it to the Nassau County Class B/C semi-finals.
- Senior Joanna Signorile and Freshman Emma Bergsohn both competed in the NYSPHSAA Girls Gymnastics State Championship meet at Cold Spring Harbor. Joanna earned a medal by placing 6th on the bars. Emma gave her best effort but fell short of placing and enjoyed her experience as a freshman competing with the best gymnasts in the state. Section 8 placed 3rd overall as a team which is a great accomplishment as a county.
- 3-time Nassau County Champion Joe Contrastano finished 3rd in the 120 lb. weight class at the NYSPHSAA Wrestling State Championships held in Albany, NY. This is Joe’s best finish in his High School career. He is a three-time Nassau County Champion. Congratulations to Joe and we look forward to your senior year achievements.
- Junior Dean Sheinman earned second place in Nassau County Wrestling Championship 160 lbs.
- Freshman Julia Schriefer ran a personal record of 1:39.80 in the 600m race at the State Qualifiers meet. Her time earned Julia a spot on the intersectional relay at the NYS Championship meet at Ocean Breeze Track and Field Athletic Complex in Staten Island, New York!
- Senior Samantha Rothstein was recognized as a News12 Scholar-Athlete!
- Coach Terry Grace was named Nassau County Boys Fencing Coach of the Year!
- Upon his retirement, Coach Dan Walsh was recognized for his 44 years of service to the students in our district.
Thanks to all that attended! A huge “Thank You” to Michael Scaturro for hosting a wonderful Winter Sports Awards! Thank you as well to Mr. Scaturro for the write-up and the photos!