On Friday, 15 February, as most students were preparing for the February recess, our Wheatley Debate Team headed up to Boston in order to compete in the annual Harvard National High School Invitational Forensics Tournament.
One of our newest co-curricular clubs, the Debate Team is advised by Mrs. Pilar Principe-Franco and anchored by an extraordinary group of young competitors. At Harvard, their biggest competition to date, the team did an extraordinary job against some very experienced teams! As part of the tournament competition, the Wheatley Debators are organized into smaller pairs of teams. Two of the six teams made it through the preliminary rounds on Saturday and competed in the elimination rounds on Saturday! These are exceptional results for any school, let alone one with a new program!
- At the Novice level, Jacob Ribotsky and Brooke Schwartz won 4 out 5 rounds, making it to the Octafinals before losing.
- At the Junior Varsity level, Aarushi Jain and Siddhi Jain won 4 out of 6 rounds and made it to the Double Octafinals before losing.
- Natalia Potrapeluk and Hema Kumar won 3 out of 5 rounds (Novice Level)
- Neil Shah and Emily Yagoda won 2 out of 5 rounds (Novice Level)
- Saad Haroon and Adam Aldad won 2 out of 5 rounds (Novice Level)
- Benjamin Casella and Madhi Bhalloo won 3 out of 5 rounds (Middle School Level)
Congratulations to the entire team! Thanks again to Mrs. Principe-Franco for accompanying the students!
[Thanks to Mrs. Principe-Franco and Brooke Schwartz for some of the photos.]