On Friday, 8 December 2017, the Wheatley World Affairs Club hosted its inaugural Model UN Conference (WHEMUNC). More than a hundred students from five schools were engaged in applying critical thinking and problem-solving skills to resolve international crises.
Wheatley, Manhasset, Kellenberg, North Babylon, and Locust Valley students competed in a variety of committees centering around a multitude of interests. The committees included:
- ¡Viva Venezuela!, which addressed a possibility of a regime change in South America
- NATO: International Peace between Euro-Atlantic Countries in the World focused on the potential proliferation of nuclear capabilities.
- The Pursuit of Raketa: Dissembling the Soviet Union was a crisis committee that assessing the impact of the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991.
- Accident or Planned?: MH370 revolved around the disappearance of Malaysian Airline in MH370 in 2013
At the end of this successful evening, Manhasset earned the award for best delegation. Wheatley students also received deserving awards:
- 9th grader Freddy Lin and 10th graders Teddy Koutsoftas and Zach Azevedo won honorable mention\
- 9th grader Layla Jarrahy won best position paper
The conference was organized by Jessica Poomkudy and John Scudero (Co-Presidents), Tony Deluxe (Vice President), Brenden Resnick (Treasurer), Ashley Vincenzo (Secretary), Rahul Ajmera and Peter Cuomo (Co-Public Relations Officer), and World Affairs Club advisor Mr. Michael Haig. The club is already looking forward to planning WHEMUNC II for the 2018-2019 school year!
[Thank you to Rahul Ajmera for the write-up and Jacob Ribotsky for the photos!]